Wednesday 20 February 2008

Fear and Hook

So, last night I had a bit of a rant with my good friend Dan and he was kind enough to be patient with me and listen to me ramble on about my fears of relationships and other things that I'm not going to get into detail (because it was a private conversation).
Now, afterwards, although feeling slightly better after getting some stuff off my chest, I still felt really down about my self but on telly, there was a documentary on about self help books, you know the ones that celebrities swear by and some even say helped them become the rich and famous person they are? Yeah, those ones.
Anyhoo, I was listening to it kind of half heartedly and not really getting into it until the doc maker spoke to a woman who had written a self help book after she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer 22 years ago. I felt I could really relate to her because what she said and her attitude towards her illness was sort of the same as the way I was or tried to be at least. She said that no matter what hits you, you have to just say "It's ok, I can do this." or "It's ok, I'm gonna get through this." and then she said something that I am never going to forget. She named her book and it was called "Face the fear then do it Anyway." I have to face my fear, get over the fear that I have of what people are going to think of me, what my parents are going to think of me and I have to just do it.
The documentary guy then went on to speak to other people about their self help books and one person spoke of how if you "think happy" then you'll "be happy". This made me think of a film I have watched for two nights in a row now and may watch it again tonight because its that good lol and that is one of Stephen Spielberg's earlier films, "Hook".
There is a scene in which Robbin Williams (Peter Pan) is sitting in a sling shot being prepared to learn how to fly. The lost boys are all around him with brightly coloured banners saying things such as "Ice Cream", "Puppies" and "Birthdays" but there was one that stood out from the rest and it read "Think Happy Thoughts".
So for now, I am going to "Think Happy Thoughts" and maybe I will think myself happier.

peas
xxx

2 comments:

weareallghosts said...

Self-help and happy thoughts are all well and good... but we have the Lord!and we have grace > the thought that changed the world (according to Bono).

The dark clouds of doubt and self-hate leave when I consider God's gift of grace > there was no way I could ever earn it and there is no way I deserve it... and yet its mine!

If that doesn't put a smile on your face... nothing will.

Keep bloggin' sister!

Love fae Motherwell

Tx

Leanne said...

thanks luv and yes, you are right. :)
xx